I had a request from a friend a few days back to compile a list of the names we've been perusing, for her side-by-side comparison. Here goes:
1.) Ada Jane
Meaning: Noble, God is Gracious
Status: Out of the running
2.) Catherine
NN: Cate
Meaning: pure (Greek)
Status: Winner!!! Though, it must be said we still don't know if we'll name her Katherine and just call her Kate or actually name her Kate. But I think we like the K spelling the best.
3.) Elizabeth
NN: Betsey
Meaning: pledged to God (Hebrew)
Status: Out of the running as a first name; Elizabeth is still a contender for a middle name.
4.) Jane
Meaning: "God is Gracious"
Status: This was/is the #2 choice. We're calling her Kate full-time, but I woke up in a panic yesterday morning with a temporary but intense desire to call her Jane.
5.) Samantha
NN: Sam
Meaning: Hebrew, "Told by God"
Status: Out of the running
We've decided to stop adding new names to the mix. We like Kate a lot, and while Jane has more personal meaning, I'm having a hard time overriding a persistent feeling that this girl's name is just Kate and that's really all there is to it. So, Kate it is unless I start waking in more panics like yesterday morning. Your comments have been a HUGE help, especially in pointing out where there might be potential problems. Chris, Becca, Will & Sam simply don't go together. I like the clear simple femininity of names like Kate and Jane. So, there's that.
And a note to all my great-with-child-friends or family members: Don't let my name choice affect yours. Not choosing a name because I chose it is just plain silly. For the record, I'm not going to assume you copied me or were even inspired by me. I AM going to assume that your personal life journey led you to liking the same kinds of names I do, but then I suppose that would be obvious. I don't even care if this girl has a cousin with the same name. But since about half of my currently with-child friends have been named some form of the Katherine name, I'm guessing the likelihood of this is, in any case, slim.
And now, since the sky is currently making some sound similar to the smoke monster from LOST, and it's nap time, I'm going to snuggle up under a warm blanket and my copy of Bossypants.
YO. Trying to see if this function is working again...
ReplyDeleteHere's a test comment.
ReplyDeleteHey girlie, let's see if the blog accepts my comment offering :). While I loved that beautiful border pictures, I can see your point, and the new border is way snazzy, too! OK, here goes something...ready...Post!
ReplyDeleteI love Jane. :) And I'm so glad you put in the comment about using names regardless of who has previously used them. I always say the same. :)
ReplyDelete