*We'll have a yard
*We'll have moved beyond the stage of raising babies (and into the stage of kidhood)
*We'll be able to afford x,y,z, etc.
*I'll have time to write (really write)
*I'll have the guts to throw away all the junk we've accumulated; and be able to afford more organizational tools to have a neatly run home
*We'll go on vacations
*We'll be able to help other people the way other people are helping us right now
*I'll own clothes without stains on them
But the burden of all these "somedays" weighs heavily on me. Having faith is a healing exercise. But so is the ability to meet your needs when they arise. I'm not talking about anything extravagant. Just the sense that I am in control of my life, instead of being at the whim of our lack of space, income, children, etc. A lot of days I feel boxed in at every turn, a helpless bystander in my own life. What's worse is that the circumstances themselves aren't going to change until the husband is out of school which is still a few years away. What does all this mean? Mama needs a break. A big one. Running to the grocery store by myself doesn't quite cut it. After all, aren't I still at the whim of my home, bound to my shopping list?
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how motherhood isn't a job at all. No one would undertake these working conditions without a steep financial compensation. What other job requires a person to be on duty all day, every day, and on-call, even on 'vacations?' Deal daily with various human bodily fluids/functions? Repeat yourself frequently to your co-workers? Clean up after them? Clean the workplace facilities? Constantly remind co-workers what their jobs are? On the one hand, of course, this means that no one is more important in this workplace than I am; being responsible for everything from the top to the bottom of the ladder. But it also means I don't have the 'luxury' of finishing a thought (just this sentence I've started over three four five times, thanks to interruptions from one of my said co-workers).
No, motherhood is not a job. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it isn't work in the traditional sense of the word. It's more like enlisting in the armed forces or being a missionary--it becomes more than what consumes your time from 9-5 each day like a traditional job would. It's an entire way of life. You can't just decide to "do" motherhood. You've got to become a mom. It's like agreeing to be torn apart limb from limb, and then allowing the various and arbitrary circumstances of your life piece you back together again. Maybe, in that great "someday" I'll have this multi-functioning person that is me, with (metaphoric) eyes, limbs, and mental power that have the ability to reach into all directions, and I'll really find myself to be a remarkable person. All I know is that right now, all I feel is the painful separation as each piece of me is slowly cut off and swept under the rug, sucked down the drain, or thrown in the trash. Is this making sense to anyone else? I'm having trouble seeing the silver lining, I guess.
Well, you could still be single. HA! BAM! Silver lining enters! ;) I'll trade your job for my job strait up! Or, I will babysit your youngsters for free should you and the husband care to take an entire Saturday off. The offer is legit. It helps me live vicariously through other people ;) Win win.
ReplyDeleteOh, Becca, I hear you. Our lists for Someday are nearly identical. I have little rages, and then I seem to be all right for a bit. Then I rage again.
ReplyDeleteLately, I keep trying to count my blessings and thinking of worse case scenarios. It seems to help.
But I still have little rages.
Keep writing. I need to do the same. I think writing, however interrupted and brief, might just be the way out.
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Instead of having limbs torn off and disposed of in various ways, I feel like I have some kind of thick crusty covering sufforcating (sp?) me. I have a very undesirable layer over me all the time that I so badly want someone to cut it off. I want to be free.
ReplyDeleteWhile I know that they only person who can take it off is me and I'm beginning to realize that I know where to go for help. It has just taken so much time to even think about it. I strongly believe that I can be the woman I want to with my children as they are now and not some distant date in the future and I WANT my children to see her. I wonder if other women stuggle with these same things? Anyway this comment is much to personal for public viewing but I felt like you needed to see it. :)
As far as Motherhood goes - to me it isn't really a job anymore - it is service. Lifelong service that will yield wonderful results eventhough most days I can't see that.
-McKell