Thursday, September 13, 2012

I Get By with a Little Help from My Friends

Several weeks ago, my dear friend Katie came to town with her charming kids, a boy W's age and a girl Ada's (works out nicely, no?). She said she wanted me to show her SLC, "Tingey style." It took some thought, but I figured that because of proximity, I ought to show her some of the church sites around here.

Not many people know about the tiny little Brigham Young cemetery park on 1st Avenue. So many people come from all over the country (and the world!) to see Temple Square, but so few know that just a half a block away is the resting place of a beloved prophet (Brigham himself) and a true heroine, Eliza Snow. Several others are buried there as well. W and Winston had heaps of fun exploring, and it turned out to be, um, an excellent opportunity to teach my kids about respecting peoples' (somewhat) eternal resting places. But truly, if you're in the area, this park is definitely worth the small hike up 1st Ave (I say this as if most of the people reading this haven't also lived on 1st Ave... whatever). In addition to the gravestones, there are some beautiful monuments and statues.

We then wandered down to Temple Square. It would have been awesome to show the kids the visitors' centers as well, but we just ended up not having the time, as we also planned on having some lunch. There's a long list of "next times" piling up in my head, Katie, including lunch at the The Garden at the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. The Ws will get a kick out of watching Temple Square from the viewing window--and all the trains running up and down South Temple. Also, seeing the Christus. And a few other things. It'll happen someday.

I hadn't seen Katie pretty much since high school. I was a bit nervous as to how this meeting would go. I'm so glad I didn't chicken out. Katie is a lady through and through, and was so gracious to spare time away from visiting her family. I've been so grateful for her friendship and example.

Here's a pic of us trying to corral the kiddies for a shot in front of the temple:


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you have readers who haven't lived on First Ave., but being one who has I had to chuckle a little at the shout out! Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!