Friday, January 29, 2010

Finally, Success! Sort of...



When I started knitting, I picked it up pretty quickly. "Aha!" I thought. "I'm a genius at something!" Just as I'd always suspected. And then I tried socks. Oh, socks, the one thing I simply cannot knit well. Until I got a wonderful book about knitting socks from the toe up. My world is forever changed. I still have much to learn about the knitting world, and every new project teaches me something new, which is something I really appreciate in a hobby. But I feel that after numerous cast-offs (haha, a little knitting humor for you)...





I have finally found success. Now, I know you're thinking, "OK, Becca, those socks do not match." Yeah! I know! But the point is that I have finally figured it out. Now, only the sock on the right is actually wearable. Actually, it's not wearable because the yarn is WAY too itchy. (See, another lesson learned! I'll only be using cotton from now on, thank you very much.) But all the knitting is correct and it actually more or less fits my foot. And the NEXT time I knit socks, I'll know the right yarn AND the right pattern AND the right size, and then I'll have some socks I actually want to wear around. See the pink one in the rejects pile? That yarn is actually rather soft, so I'll be unraveling that one and re-knitting it with the toe-up pattern and making a mate for it. So that's exciting. Also, I have finally learned to love color. For a very long time, I loved neutrals, and to a large extent I still do. Maybe it's the nasty gray air here in SLC, but Mama is in some serious need of COLOR. So, my future sock endeavors will be more colorful. Although I simply don't know WHAT I'll do with those awful skeins of brown itchy wool sock yarn. Maybe I should start an online yarn exchange site where knitters can exchange their regrets.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should help me figure out this knitting thing! I learned how to knit scarves a few years ago, but I haven't made it past that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ya love knitting? I can't get enough of it. You are the best I know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!