Imagine, if you will, a 7-month-pregnant woman, sitting on an outdoor patio with her husband, son, and brother, enjoying a very fine evening (a tragic rarity this spring) and a roasted red pepper sandwich piled high with arugula. It had been a while since arugula and I had crossed paths. Maybe it's a pregnant thing. All I know was it hit the spot in a way that maybe only pregnant women can appreciate, and cultivated within me a deep desire to know this green better.
So. Yesterday, as I was making up my weekly menu, I decided arugula had to be part of it. We've had it two nights in a row. And both meals were so very satisfying, I felt selfish and sick at the thought of keeping them to myself. The first recipe, I'm proud to say, I thought up out of my own noggin (sorry I have no pictures):
Open-Faced, Fried Egg Sandwich
1 loaf sourdough bread
1 bag arugula
1 brick parmesan
eggs
salt
pepper
butter
*Fry eggs to your preferred doneness, seasoning with salt and pepper. Slice your bread, toast it, and butter it if you like (I did). Slice thin slices of parm and place them on the sourdough toast. Top with desired amount of arugula. Top that with the fried egg, which, I suppose, serves as a proxy top to this sandwich. It is simple; it is quick. And if you serve it along with some fresh salted slices of avocado and some strawberries, you may just want to kiss yourself for preparing something so entirely satisfying.
The second recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart, you can find here or here:

(love this book)
*I used arugula instead of mesclun, obviously, and roasted my red potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder rather than boiled them. Between the salad dressing, the greens, and the goat cheese, this proved to have a fairly intense tart-bitter flavor profile, which suited me just fine. So very fine.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment!