Fast forward to last night when I finally got around to watching the royal wedding with my mom. We're watching the ceremony, laughing at William's very long name, when I think I hear the most awful words come out of the priest's mouth as he turns to Kate. Not wanting to know, but needing to know, I say to my mom, "Wait. WHAT is her name?????" Catherine Elizabeth, folks. It was the proverbial nail in my name coffin. I didn't know I could be to agile at 7 months pregnant, but my response was so violent I sort of flailed my whole body and slammed my legs down into the couch. This chick has effectively ruined my favorite baby name for this little girl. I suppose we could choose a different middle name, but after conferring with the husband, who says every time he ears about "Will & Kate" on the news it bothers him more, we decided to scrap it entirely. Kate Middleton (Windsor!) is a very lovely girl, but I'll forever resent her name being Kate and her middle name being Elizabeth. Boo. Double boo.
Here I was thinking I'd chosen a name that was fresh and original to this generation--traditional, but clearly feminine and not too popular. In short, the perfect name. Instead I feel like the biggest sucker on the planet. There are probably more devastating things in this world than being a predictable, mindless drone, a product of my generation (you know, worse things like tornadoes and hurricanes and earthquakes and tsunamis). But at the moment, my tiny little baby-name world has plummeted into despair. Back to square one.
Well... I didn't make that connection until you brought it up. Prior to Evelyn I thought that having a boy named Noah would be cute but then because of the Notebook that name became insanely popular and I became turned off by it. So I understand why you would want something unique and special :) But that name is still pretty (Catherine with a K or C) and really - who cares what other people think! Oh yes, maybe to not totally toss it out the window you could change the spelling of it ;)
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kathryn Elizabeth too :)
ReplyDeleteI think it's a beautiful name and don't think you should change it if you like it so much. I know that there are several names I rejected simply because they reminded me of some horrible child I taught at one time or another; and after polling my kindergarteners, I swore I would never name any of my children after a transformer.... but when I saw Jace I just knew that he was a Jason and the connection has never bothered me at all. So don't give up on it yet!
ReplyDeleteI would agree with McKell and Cheryl - if you like the name and it fits her, go with it! After a few months people won't even remember the whole Will and Kate thing - and I doubt many people even know her middle name!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI think Elizabeth is a very popular middle name for Catherines--I know a 6-year-old Katherine Elizabeth who could NOT have been more thrilled to watch Catherine Elizabeth Middleton's nuptials. I think I told you Elisabeth is our next-in-line girl name. Sam worries that there are too many Catherine and Elisabeth/Elizabeth sibling pairs, but I say who cares! I agree with your other friends--if you like Katherine/Kate Elizabeth, go with it. I bet "Will and Kate" will be out of the news cycle almost completely in another few months when you have your baby girl.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. I have a Camila....my cousin's name is William...(can't remember the connection) and people ask ALL the time if we named her after Camilla Kimball. Well, Sister Kimball is amazing, but she was sorta before my time, and I may have british grandparents, but none of us are too worried about the royals...so, despite all annoying questions and comments, it's your child and she will totally become the name in a few months! good luck!
ReplyDelete