Thursday, July 9, 2009


This is Will saying, "Good night!"



So, I was 'creeping' the blog of a former acquaintance and she was talking about how when she gets extra money she always spends it on her kids, buying clothes and making them look cute, etc. Now, I'm sure she was perfectly sincere, but what went through my mind was, "Come on. Seriously? You never get excited about being able to splurge on yourself every once in a while at least?" Maybe I'm the selfish one, but I find this philosophy a little hard to believe. I actually wish I were made of money, because I could just break off my left pinky and exchange it for some nice new clothes, you know? I mean, really, who needs a pinky finger anyway? The point is, it occurred to me that people use their kids as status symbols. I guess I always knew this in a general way, but never this clearly. For a second I felt like I was back in high school, which I THOUGHT was the biggest rat race I've yet been part of. But suddenly I see how women especially can use their children to assert their perceived superiority over someone else--like using kids as subliminal messages of how great the parents are or something. Am I making this up or does this actually happen? Well, if so, I choose not to engage in the race at all. It just sounds like too much work and more craftiness of mind than I would like to be guilty of.



He had a political message he wanted to share with everyone :)



The little guy is starting to push himself up on his legs.



I'm starting to get super excited to go to Capistrano with my family in August. I'm looking forward to laying out in the mornings, bumming around the house in the afternoons, finally getting ready for the day only to go out to dinner then coming home to bed. I'm excited to show Will the ocean, to take him to his first Dodgers game. And I'm prepping for Iron Chef Higgs 2009. As Chris and I are the defending champions, I've started doing my prep work and testing out recipes using our secret ingredient this year, which is lime. We already have a recipe that will work as either a side or an appetizer, as well as a main dish that'll knock everyone's socks off. I'm trying out my first dessert recipe on Sunday.

On the 4th we decided to take a walk up to the state capitol to see what was going on up there. We saw a rally of some sort, as well as some birds' nests nestled just under the roof that were pretty cool.

In case you can't read the sign, it says "Obama-- our commander-in-thief."
















2 comments:

  1. Yo Becca. Evelyn used to love her burp cloths too - I would let her sleep with them though, I guess I wasn't as cautious as I should have been. Also can you not tell how awesome I am by how awesome Evelyn is? Evelyn is always decked out in Dolce and Gabana...not. Anyway, yes I do like to shop for myself personally but I do like to shop for Evelyn too because baby clothes are sooo cute. I promise I'm almost done... I liked how Chris was a special guest in your videos also and the pics with you and will are way adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! y'all look great! Will is a handsome little guy....not a surprise with such a beautiful mama! Oh, and Chris is a Tingey, and we all know how handsome those Tingey boys are:) lol
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!