Friday, January 1, 2010

2009: A Year in Review

Ernest Hemingway's life goal was to write one pure, simple sentence, which I understand he never felt he accomplished. Reading his his work makes me realize the value of simplicity. There's no need for complex expressions when something straight-to-the-point will do. It's more honest and inclusive anyway, so why take the energy to be grandiose? Of course, it's not as easy as that. I'm learning that choosing simplicity is work, too. But it feels good, like taking off your constrictive winter coat for the last time after a winter that has lasted much too long. (Note to self: Plan move to Hawaii.) So in my ongoing search for simplicity, we're going to keep this short and sweet.

New Year's Resolutions Kept: One (I did not purchase any books for myself in 2009)

New Year's Resolutions for 2010: 1-) Lose the rest of my pregnancy weight and keep it off. 2-) Write in my journal once a month. 3-) Go somewhere (anywhere) I've never been before. 4-) Finally read Shogun and The Hunt for Red October. 5-) Keep at least one of these resolutions.

Books Read: My Life in France; The Mother in Me; A Train to Potevka; Ballet Shoes; Uglies; Pretties; Specials; Honey, Baby, Sweetheart; Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Highlights: giving birth; hanging out in San Francisco with Will and Chris; my baby shower; Will's blessing; refining my knitting skills; learning to budget and coupon; getting to know the wonderful members of my ward; realizing I am not Agent Sidney Bristow (but that I'm pretty OK anyway); realizing in a big way that my attitude determines what I am capable of.


3 comments:

  1. So pretty much I think you are awesome Becca. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... I'm going to call you a LIAR right here on your very own blog. YOu seriously did not purchase a book for yourself in 2009? No way. I can't believe it. I won't believe! NO! My world is crashing down!!!!!!!!!!!! ... ... ...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, it's TRUE! I have so many books that I just told myself that in '09 I had to beg, borrow or steal (but it never came to that). Or just read the dozens of books on my shelf that I've never gotten around to. And I'm proud to say I actually did it! Now, I must say that if I didn't have the LARGE distraction of a young'un, I probably never would have made it. And there was no restriction on receiving books as gifts, so, you know, if I wanted something I just as for it on a special occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!