Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Name #3

This week: Elizabeth
NN: Betsey
Meaning: pledged to God (Hebrew)

There are so very many reasons to love the name Elizabeth, not the least of which is all the Elizabeths I personally know and love (and, yes, I'm including Ms. Bennet in that total). This is one of those cases (like Katies) where knowing lots people with that name actually adds to its general appeal. I'm not sure I can say, "Ugh, I knew this girl Elizabeth once... and no way will I give my child that name." It's a beautiful, traditional, standard name. I like the nickname Betsey because it sounds fresher to me than Liz, Lizzie, Eliza (can NOT hear that name without thinking of the King and I), or Beth; and one of my favorite books as a little girl was a chapter book called Betsey's Little Star. I read it over and over. Like the Katherine/Kate combo (pretty sure I like that spelling the best--this week), I like the informal nickname paired with a formal one behind it for more formal purposes. Betsey might be cute for a little girl, but she'll have the option to go for a more serious "Elizabeth" as she gets older if she wants.

My objections:
1. Because I know so many Elizabeths, while the name retains it's relevance and dignity, has it lost some of its freshness/brightness?
2. Four syllables is a lot, feels a little cumbersome next to some other choices, like Kate.
3. Elizabeths, how have you felt about your name?

P.S. I really enjoyed calling her Kate last week.

P.P.S. Emily, the "PF Chang's Chicken" on my menu is from the frozen food aisle. Sorry to disappoint. :)

8 comments:

  1. ha!!!! That's hilarious. I thougt you had somehow gotten hold of the pfchang's recipe book.....something I would very much love to get mt hands on!
    my vote so far is for Ada Jane. Then Kate, then Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved my name :)! It's funny, too, because I usually gravitate toward 'less conventional' when I have the option, but I've always liked the sound of my name, and the versatility of nickname options, the cultural/social history of the name 'Elizabeth', etc. There were, no doubt, plenty of dishonorable Elizabeths in history, but they aren't the ones who spring to mind when you hear the name. Also, it makes for a lovely and complimentary middle name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with an Elizabeth a.k.a. Betsey. She only went by Betsey and *loved* the designer. She was very cute... a face character for Disney World, if that gives you a sense.

    And that is my Elizabeth a.k.a. Betsey story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the name Elizabeth. But I like Ada and Kate (for some reason, the K is more pleasing to my eye) better. I do like Ada Elizabeth, and I really like Kate Elizabeth. Not that it really matters, but the names Will and Kate sound adorable together. This is so fun, to hear everything you're considering and why. I love it! Oh, and I loved the post on recipe planning. It made me really excited to do the same. :) Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name Elizabeth, especially Betsey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an Elizabeth name fan and very much a Betsey fan too. I have only known one Betsey in my life and she was so beautiful, sweet, fashionable, nice, original, and smart. So my name association has a very high ranking with this name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsey is the name of a fun-loving, adventurous, curious girl---and who wouldn't want a daughter like that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an Elizabeth and have loved my name. It has had many variations through my life from a variety of people, Liz, lizzy, wiz(by a two year old, so it was cute), bess, and Elizabeth. I am currently debating going to Elizabeth full time for work, but I don't know if I'm there yet. I love it because it is so classic and growing up I enjoyed learning about all the other famous Elizabeths from history, there are some impressive ones out there. Betsey I like it is a version that you don't hear a whole lot. I give this a thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!