NN: Sam
Meaning: Hebrew, "Told by God"
So, I'm not really sure this name has any one real inspiration for us that we can point to. I had a friend named Samantha when I lived in NY as a kid, and Samantha was one of my favorites from the American Girls book series. But then, so was Felicity, and that is definitely NOT on the list. I'm guessing these favorable associations give me a positive feeling from the name. Really, it's just a name that we like. I think it's elegant and slightly tomboyish at the same time. Before I got pregnant, this was a name that I LOVED. Now, faced with the possibility of actually attaching it to a human being, I don't know... It's not that I have any objections to this name, but like the rest of them, I'm just not in love with it. The fact that nameberry.com has labeled it "overused" and on the decline deters me some. Apparently, it's just fallen out of the top 10 after being there for quite a while. Who knew? I don't know of any little girls named Samantha. And yes, to all Tingey relatives, we have cleared this name with Sam & Laura. :)
I'm starting to go into a name slump, people. A couple names so far have stood out more than the rest, but they're all seeming pretty lackluster to me. I wonder: Am I asking too much from a name? Should I just pick a name I like that holds some kind of meaning and be done with it? I will tell you: My biggest fear is picking a name that I hate, say, 6 months after she's born and there's no going back. Girls' names are much more subject to fluctuations in relevance than boys' names. I was worried about the same thing with Will--but the fact that Chris liked it so much made me feel better about it. And I have not once regretted his name. But so far there are no clear winners. I foresee a date with my name books in the not-s0-distant future, although, I think we still have a few names to go through before I'm willing to give up on my current list entirely. There's one name in particular that I'm looking forward to trying out. And keep your responses coming! Even negative responses are helpful. Something YOU say could help me cross a name off the list or catapult one to the top.
We have so many of the same name ideas. You have wonderful taste! I love all of them.
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Name options. My friend just had a baby girl and the name choices were between Willow and Eloise. Eloise won.
ReplyDeleteReally, when I think of you, Becca, I think of classic literature. The classics you enjoy again and again... and I think if you picked one of those names you would definitely still love it 6 months later.
That's all I've got for you...
XOXO
Of course I'm still voting for Catherine! I hate to say negative things about people's name choices, but I know you keep asking for feeback ... so here goes! I'm not really in to names that can be boy or girl, like Sam. I met a family once with girls named Sam(antha), Alex(andria), and Dani(elle) and that's just not my thing. Good luck! I think it's fun you are doing this! Nancy
ReplyDeleteSo my only opinion is that whatever you choose to name her you will still love six months later because it will be HER name.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I don't know what to think about Samantha now. I liked it, but I'm not so sure now. I'm feeling a bit envious of your list. So far we have no list, but we do have one name: Caroline. We'll have to see if it sticks because there is one hangup: Caroline Bingley. :)
ReplyDelete