Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jane Austen Is My Homegirl a.k.a. Top 5 (okay, 6) Signs I've Fallen into Regency-era Psychosis


Every now and then, I get a little caught up in the wonder that is Jane Austen: her life, her work, her influence on various aspects of our modern world. I feverishly read her novels, watch BBC mini-series, and (nerd alert!) write essays in my head or (even bigger nerd alert) compose passionate speeches on "Why Jane Austen Is the Greatest Writer in the History of the Novel," all for the large and important academic conferences... that take place inside my head. I have loved and admired the merits of many other novel-writers, but I always come back to Jane. She stands alone. I love her. And no doubt she would find in my effusions something to poke fun at. It's what she does.

This time around, I've fallen into the obsession rather deeply. Yesterday I think I crossed over to the dark side of the Austenian world, a mere step away from reading fan fiction (yuck). I suppose composing fan fiction is worse. Anyway, I stumbled across these gems, and I'm here to share them with like-minded Austenites:

1. Jane Austen's Fight Club. You won't be sorry.

2. Jane Austen-themed things from Cafe Press.


3. Ideas for hosting a Jane party (I am SO doing this, probably for her birthday this year).


4. Marvel's comic book versions of some of her novels--this cover is nothing short of pure brilliance. It. Is. Perfect.



5. Why wasn't I asked to contribute???? Must acquire this. I wonder if the e-book is available...



6. I also daydream about wearing clothes from the Regency period. But since that is never going to happen, I daydream about decorating with paintings of girls in Regency dresses. Lovely, no?


Am I alone in my need for nerd-dom? Why do YOU love Jane Austen? What do YOU nerd-out about?

3 comments:

  1. I am at work and therefore sort of, technically, according to the Man who pays me, mustn't take the time to compose a worthy response. Please let it suffice for the moment that I say, "Amen, sista!" And also, PLEASE tell me there exists a shirt out there that says "Jane Austen is My Homegirl". Also, A JANE AUSTEN BIRTHDAY PARTY?! I wanna come!!! I would certainly bring something tasty and appropriately themed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it :) I know that I love films and books around that time period but I never knew what it was called... The Regency period. I think a Jane party would be fantastic! Last night I watched the Kiera Knightley P&P and after watching the Colin Firth one. Now the Kiera one bugs me. I always feel like she is going to bite someone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You simply rock, Becca. But I don't see why not as to having your own period clothing. It looks beautiful, it's modest, and it is always flattering. I know when I get some extra time and cash on hand I'm planning to make a bunch. I would seriously recommend going ahead and making a wardrobe you fancy:

    http://store.reconstructinghistory.com/historic-patterns/regency.html

    http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Pattern-4055-Costumes-6-8-10-12/dp/B000MU1MX2

    http://www.amazon.com/Folkwear-Empire-Dress-Pattern/dp/B0017RN7RI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2

    http://www.amazon.com/1804-1812-Regency-Gown-Pattern/dp/B001HGT3B8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_4

    http://www.amazon.com/Butterick-Patterns-Historical-Costume-14-16-18-20/dp/B002UQC5UU

    Etc and so forth... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!