Friday, March 16, 2012

Bathroom Spruce 3/2012

Remember this project? Well, the same lady who put up that awful wallpaper also put up some truly hideous stuff in the master bath as well.


Right? Who thinks like that??? You can't tell, because we took the switch plates off, but she had actually wallpapered those, too. The further we get into redecorating projects around here, the more my mind reels about this home's former inhabitants. I have visions of Aunt Bethany from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation bringing jell-o with cat food in it. Of course, in ten years, someone could look at what we've done and think the same thing.


But I sincerely hope we haven't done anything that is going to cause the next dwellers as much frustration. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: don't wallpaper anything, anywhere, ever. Because as sure as the sun shines, there will be a day when that style of paper goes the way of all flesh, and you will curse the day you were born, trying to remove it. It's a messy, smelly, laborious, life-sucking endeavor that you will escape alive and well only if you remember reading The Grapes of Wrath and realize that, in fact, you are lucky to have a roof over your head at all, wallpapered or not.


In any case, we have finished--finally--almost unscathed, and here's what we've got to show for ourselves:



Here's what we did:
*Removed offensive wallpaper
*Removed old-lady handle outside the shower
*Primed & Painted (you can find our exact color by going to Home Depot & asking for "Wills Color," no apostrophe--the guy working the paint counter named it after him)
*Made countless trips to Lowe's/Home Depot
*Replaced bathroom hardware with a set that matches



I think I'm even more pleased with this than I was with the entryway/bathroom project. Sigh. Things I still need to do:
*Find new pulls/knobs for the drawers/cabinets/door
*DIY Mirror frame Seriously, do you ever feel like Pinterest has changed your life? It has certainly brought mine to a new level of efficiency, organization, and experimentation.
*Find some funky oversized art for the large blank wall above the tub. But I really haven't found anything I'm crazy about yet (that doesn't come from anthro and cost thousands of dollars)
*Find some funky decorative accents.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment!